There are many local places of historical interest or general interest near to the museum. There are also many articles and publications on local history topics as well as societies for those interested in getting more involved in their local heritage.
- Copped Hall - A fine Georgian mansion, gutted by fire in 1917 and currently undergoing restoration by the Copped Hall Trust
- Royal Gunpowder Mills - A large visitor attraction exploring the history of manufacturing gunpowder with a range of large public events
- Lee Valley Regional Park - A variety of open spaces, farms, nature reserves and sporting facilities
- Queen Elizabeth's Hunting Lodge and Epping Forest Visitors Centre - Managed by the Corporation of London to help visitors explore the history and nature of Epping Forest
- North Weald Airfield - A famous Battle of Britain airfield with an extensive programme of flying events and a small museum on site
- British Postal Museum Archive - This facility in the district opens on selected days during the year.
Website links to local groups
- Waltham Abbey Historical Society
- Friends of Epping Forest
- Loughton and District Historical Society
- Ongar Millennium History Society
- The Epping and Ongar Railway
- Theydon Bois Preservation Society