Apply for housing with HomeOption

To apply for council housing in Epping Forest you need to join our Housing Register. 

Enter the HomeOption website and apply to join the register online.

Our Housing Register is for new applicants, and for existing council tenants who want to move. Each year we let around 500 council properties or housing association accommodation (where we have nomination rights) to home seekers on the register. You should note that we own very few 4 and 5 bedroom properties, and there are very few houses in some areas. Flats and maisonettes are more likely to become available.

The following information sheet for home seekers explains how to apply for housing:

You can find more information on ways to move home in this leaflet:

For more detailed information on how we let council housing, or nominate applicants to housing associations, you can download the Council's current Housing Allocations Scheme.

The Council has undertaken a review of the EFDC Housing Allocations Scheme.  The revised Scheme will come into force on 1 July 2018.

There has been a change to the Residency Criteria which means those applying to join our Housing Register after 1 July 2018, must have lived in the District for an increased period of 7 continuous years, immediately prior to their date of application subject to some exceptions which are set out under the Local Eligibility Criteria of the Scheme.  However, all those who are registered on the Housing Register on 30 June 2018, are protected, provided they still meet all of the other aspects of the Local Eligibility Criteria.

There are a number of other changes, details of which can be found within the Eligibility Information Sheet.  If should be noted that information in this sheet is for guidance purposes only.  For the absolute position, home seekers and applicants are referred to the Council's Housing Allocations Scheme.

The current scheme will be replaced by the 2018 Housing Allocations Scheme which will come into force on 1 July 2018.

Our Tenancy Policy outlines our approach to tenancy management, including discretionary succession rights. It sets out the types of tenancies granted and the circumstances where a tenancy of a particular type will be granted, and the length of the term.

Further information

Our homelessness prevention team gives advice and support to people who risk losing their homes. If you have a housing difficulty the following housing options may help you:

What you can do to avoid repossession

You can find information on the Government's website about how to get help and keep your home, if you are struggling with your mortgage or facing repossession.


The council has a legal duty to provide assistance to homeless people, or people at risk of homelessness. The level of assistance we offer will depend on individual circumstances but we will look at all the housing options available to you. If homelessness cannot be prevented we have a legal duty to provide 'interim' accommodation while we carry out enquiries to find out whether or not you are homeless, and have a local connection. We also need to know if you are intentionally homeless and whether you are in priority need.

If we accept an applicant under the homelessness duty, our next stage is to make temporary accommodation available to the family. This will often be in our hostel. The family stays there until permanent accommodation can be offered.

You should get advice as soon as possible from our Homelessness Prevention Team if you are homeless, or threatened with homelessness.

Office hours 01992 564165 Emergencies out of hours 01992 564000

Advice for Non UK residents

What is HomeOption?

HomeOption is a service for residents in Epping Forest and several other local authority areas. You can use the service to:

If you have applied for housing, and have been accepted onto our Housing Register, you can search for available council properties using the HomeOption website. You can also search for housing association properties where the Council has 'nomination rights'. You choose suitable properties from a list of all the vacant homes and 'express an interest' in them (commonly known as bidding or making a bid).

The Home Options Scheme property list is now issued each week. You will be able to place your expressions of interest each week between Friday at 9:00am and the following Wednesday at 1:00pm. Although the property list will be available weekly we will still only have the same number of properties to advertise, so fewer properties will be advertised in each cycle.

The easiest way to place bids on advertised properties is to log on to the HomeOption website and check the properties that are listed on your personal Home Option account page. If you do not have internet access yourself, perhaps a friend could place bids on your behalf, or you could use public computers available at most libraries. If you are unable to access the website, you can still place bids by phoning 08707 270460 or texting 07781 472726. Or you can collect a printed list from the Civic Offices in Epping, the Broadway Housing Office in Debden or the Limes Centre in Chigwell. 

How does it work?
All our vacant homes are advertised on the HomeOption website and in printed property lists. Homeseekers can express their interest in up to three properties in any weekly cycle. Vacant homes will be offered to the homeseekers who have the highest priority bandings and have been waiting longest.

I'm on the Housing Register, what do I need to do?
You need to look at the HomeOption website, find a suitable property, and put in an "expression of interest".  You can post in a coupon or express an interest by telephone, text, or online.

For further information contact the Housing Options Section, Epping Forest District Council

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Telephone: 01992 564716

Council tenants living in the district may want to move to another property. This could be due to overcrowding, under-occupation or medical problems. To do this you need to apply to join the council’s Housing Register

Would you like to move to a smaller home that's cheaper to run and more manageable?

You could receive up to £4,000

If you are a council tenant, you could get a payment from us if you downsize - to help you buy furnishings for your new home, or pay a removal company. Maybe you could consider sheltered housing, if you are an older person and you would like the support of a Scheme Manager. To make your move less stressful, our Re-housing Support Officer can help you sort out all the arrangements such as:

  • Assisting you with your application
  • Arranging viewings at sheltered schemes
  • Helping you organise the packing and removal, and
  • Informing other organisations about your change of address

We need to make the best possible use of our council properties because demand is extremely high. Homes freed up through our downsizing incentive scheme can be let to families in real need of larger accommodation.

If you wish to downsize you'll need to join our Housing Register. Existing council tenants wanting to transfer to smaller accommodation within the district are placed in Band A (the highest priority banding). You'll get £1,000 for each room "released", plus £500 for removal expenses and £500 to meet decoration costs, which is in addition to any amount paid under the Council's decoration allowance scheme - so you could receive up to £4,000.

To enquire about moving home, or the downsizing incentive scheme, please contact our Housing Options section. 

01992 564716


Do you need furniture?

Have you got furniture to donate?

Epping Forest ReUse (EFR) supports those in need, and protects the environment from unnecessary waste. EFR is working with Lighthouse Furniture Project  - a not-for-profit social enterprise and a charity.  This means that any operating surplus is reinvested back into the organisation, to expand its reach, enabling it to help more people and to help protect the environment.

Visit the Re-Use Centre in Epping to choose from a quality range of used furniture, appliances, nursery and household goods. Their prices compare favourably with local charity shops, and the warehouse premises enable EFR to offer a wide selection. The prices are lower for those who receive benefits. You will be charged for the cost of any deliveries.

The Epping Forest Re-Use Centre
Bower Hill Industrial Estate
Bower Hill, Epping, CM16 7BN

Open to everyone for viewing and buying - Monday to Friday 9:30am to 4pm. Saturday 9:30am to 12:30pm.

Contact Epping Forest ReUse for more information on collections, deliveries and volunteering opportunities.



Phone: 01992 578222

If we accept an applicant under our homelessness duty, the next stage is to make temporary accommodation available to the family. This will often be in Norway House, our hostel for homeless people. The family stays there until permanent accommodation can be offered.

Our homeless persons hostel comprises around 40 rooms with shared kitchen, bathroom and toilet facilities. A further 10 "chalets" with shared facilities are located in the grounds. The Hostel is supervised by a management team.

Contact the Council's Homelessness Prevention Team for advice on your housing options as soon as possible if you are homeless, or threatened with homelessness.

Office hours 01992 564165 Emergencies out of hours 01992 564000

Norway House Stakeholder Partnership

What is Help to Buy?

The Government created the Help to Buy scheme to help hard-working people like you take steps to buy your own home. Whether you are looking to get onto the housing ladder or move up it, there are a number of Help to Buy products designed to make buying a home more affordable, including:

Shared ownership - New build and Re-sales

Depending on how much you can afford, shared ownership allows you to buy a percentage share of a property while a local housing association retains the other share.

It is sometimes known as “part-buy part-rent” because you will then be charged a rental payment on the remaining share owned by the housing association. In most cases shared owners can choose to buy additional shares later on to increase their equity.

Shared Ownership Properties available

Visit the Shared Ownership Properties page to view all properties available to purchase through the shared ownership.

Equity loans

The Help to Buy equity loan is designed to help you purchase specific new-build properties priced up to £600,000 from participating registered developers with as little as a 5% deposit.

The Government lends you up to 20% of the cost of your new-build home, so you’ll only need to provide a 5% cash deposit and a 75% mortgage to make up the rest. You also won’t be charged loan fees on the 20% loan for the first five years of owning your home.

Want to find out more?

bpha are delivering this service on behalf of the Homes and Communities Agency in the East and South East of England. For more information please visit the Help to Buy East and South East website or call 03333 214044

If you interested in buying in another area please visit to find details of the local Help to Buy agent for that region.

Finding a place to live
... with a little help from the Epping Forest Housing Aid Scheme

Some people wait for a very long time to get an offer of council or housing association accommodation. Privately rented accommodation is an option that many home seekers have to consider, although it can be expensive. Housing Benefit may be available to make the rent payments affordable, but finding enough money for a deposit can be very difficult.

Deposit Guarantees

The Epping Forest Housing Aid Scheme (EFHAS) is a charity which helps by giving 'Deposit Guarantees' which take the place of deposits. A Guarantee will cover an amount of up to a maximum of four weeks rent. If there is any loss or damage (beyond fair wear and tear) the landlord can make a claim at the end of the tenancy. EFHAS will then recover the money from the tenant. Applicants must be aged 18 or over and have a housing need (because they have nowhere to live for example). EFHAS has worked with us to help many people who can afford a private rent, but not the deposit.

If you want to know more about the scheme, or if you have a property to rent, please phone 01992 564165 or contact the Housing Options Team.

Ask for information on the EFHAS Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme

EFHAS is an excellent charity staffed entirely by volunteers. They have worked with us to assist many people, but they need more assistance. Could you spare some time to help them? You won’t have to handle money, your expenses and any mileage will be covered and you will be supported by the trustees.

Let us know if you would like more information on ways you can help EFHAS.

Have you applied for housing through HomeOption?

  • Do you have a health problem?
  • Are you being housed with a family member who suffers from ill-health?

You will need to complete a 'Self Assessment Medical Form' if you would like us to take any health problems into account, when assessing or reviewing your housing application. We need you to give full information about the person who has health problems, and their current housing situation. Preference will only be given if the health problems will have a direct effect on your future housing needs. There is more information on the form, which you can download below:

Please check you have filled in all parts of the form and return it to:

Housing Options
Epping Forest District Council
Civic Offices, High Street
Epping, Essex
CM16 4BZ

You can phone us on 01992 564716 to ask for a form to be sent to you.

You can scan the downloaded form and email it to:

2017 - Epping Forest District Council Housing RegisterQ1Q2Q3Q4

Total number of applicants on Epping Forest District Council's Housing Register

1377  1518 1509 1517 
Total number of applicants registered within each priority band
Band A 132 133 133 138 
Band B 550  550 538 539 
Band C 695 702 704  711
SWL 124 132  134 129 

Supplementary Waiting List

The Supplementary Waiting List is for some applicants who are over the age of 60, but do not meet the residency criteria of The Allocation Scheme. These applicants are only eligible to bid on properties in Sheltered Housing Schemes. Applicants in bands A, B, and C who make an expression of interest for properties in a Sheltered Scheme are considered a higher priority than applicants in Band SWL.
Total number of applicants registered for each bed size:        
1 bedroom properties 630 784  792 786 
2 bedroom properties 579 567 543 556
3 bedroom properties 148  144 155 154 
4 bedroom properties 19 23  19 21 
5 bedroom properties 1 0  0 0


2016 - Epping Forest District Council Housing RegisterQ1Q2Q3Q4

Total number of applicants on Epping Forest District Council's Housing Register

1531 1515 1477 1462 
Total number of applicants registered within each priority band
Band A 135 134 120  125
Band B 526 534  516  538
Band C 706 700 706  683
SWL 164 147 134  116

Supplementary Waiting List

Total number of applicants registered for each bed size:        
1 bedroom properties 838 815  783  742
2 bedroom properties 549 531  550  558
3 bedroom properties 127 129 129  145
4 bedroom properties 16 15 14  12
5 bedroom properties 1 1 1  5

Do you want to rent accommodation privately? If you do, but you are finding it difficult to afford, our homeless prevention team may be able to help through the Epping Forest rental loan scheme.

This scheme has been set up to help local people access private rented accommodation within the Epping Forest District.

How do I apply to the rental loan scheme?

To qualify for the rental loan scheme you must at first be seen by one of our homeless prevention officers. The officer will decide if you are in urgent housing need and would become ‘statutorily homeless’, if we did not give you a referral to the scheme.

What will I get if my referral is accepted?

If you are accepted onto the scheme you will be entitled to an interest-free rent loan advance of £670 as a single person, or £1,000 as a family.

What would I need to do to get accommodation?

If your referral is accepted, you will need to find a property that is suitable for your needs within our district. The accommodation must be affordable, and the landlord willing to accept the payment terms under the scheme. If you need help in finding accommodation then the homeless prevention officer will try to help you. When you are referred, you will be expected to sign a form agreeing the amount of the loan over a 24 month period.

How do I find out more about the rental loan scheme?

If you want to find out more about the rental loan scheme in the Epping Forest District please contact our Homelessness Prevention Team.

Office hours 01992 564165 Emergencies out of hours 01992 564000

Any tenant, applicant or other housing client can appeal against a decision made by housing officers, or ask for a review of certain homelessness decisions.

For more information please read section seven of our Tenants Handbook.

Phone Contact us....

Name:Housing Options Section
Telephone: 01992 564716

Or you can write to us at:
Housing Options Section, Epping Forest District Council, Civic Offices, High Street,  Epping, Essex CM16 4BZ

View Full Contact Details

Useful links


Apply for it

Useful Files