Cycling for Health
Cycling For Health Wednesday 13th December this ride will still be starting at the White Water Centre but we will be parking in the first car park on the left.
The Lee Valley have brought in charges for parking at two locations: Waltham Abbey Gardens and Gunpowder Park, this affects some of our walks and cycle rides, please see the link for further information https://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/content/cms/nature/nature-reserve/gunpowder-park/plan-a-visit/
The Cycling for Health programme is a series of weekly social cycle rides in the Epping Forest or Lee Valley led by qualified and knowledgeable instructors from Epping Forest District Council's Communities Department.
Rides take place on bridleways and walking paths so are generally traffic free. Our routes are between around 10 km and 15 km (6 to 10 miles) with a varying degree of difficulty, which can be identified in the diary by the triangular symbol.
During each ride there is the possibility to stop for a break and have a chat so that you can get to know your fellow riders.
To take part you do not need your own bike or helmet as thanks to Raleigh and DiamondBack we have a pool of bikes that you can hire. All we ask is that you give us 48 hours notice that you will be attending and needing a bike.
Cycling is a great activity that can help you get active and improve your health without high costs or high intensity activity that can leave you aching and fatigued. Cycling is a very low impact activity so it can be enjoyed by absolutely everyone in almost any location all year round. Most of us know how to cycle and once you have learned you don’t forget. All you need is some free time as just one hour of steady cycling a day can:
- Burn around 650 calories
- Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease by 50%
- Increase cardiovascular fitness by 3-7%
- Improve mental well-being
- Increase muscle tone
Before attending a Ride
- View our upcoming rides below or download our latest Ride Diary under the 'Read It' section.
- Choose the location, gradient and date of any rides you'd like to attend.
- If you are new to Cycling For Health, please arrive 30 minutes before the start time so you can fill in your registration/health form. Forms can be downloaded below and completed to bring along to your first session.
To take part
- If you have your own bike, just turn up and sign in with a leader
If bike and helmet hire is required:
- Check our size guide below to see which bike size you require
- Book your place online or by phone 48 hours prior to the ride you wish to attend
Cost (per ride)
Just Ride (Own bike and Helmet) - £4 Turn up and pay
Hire & Ride (Helmet and bike hire including ride fee) - £8 Must be booked 48
hours in advance
To book by phone please call Community Services on 01992 564226 (Monday to Friday 10am-4pm) and let us know the dates required and bike size.
Book Bike Hire Online Here.
If you want to plan ahead, you can book as many sessions as you like from the diary in one go. Once you have made a booking your details will be saved on the online booking form ready for next time. Simply log in.