Is CCTV constantly monitored?

No, EFDC does not have a manned CCTV control room, however live monitoring by trained personnel does take place and CCTV is recording 24 hours per day. Our CCTV system can be integrated post indecent up to 31 days after the event.

Who is responsible for the operation of the CCTV service within the council?

The Community safety team is responsible for the day to day running managed by the community safety manager and the CCTV Operations officer.

What about privacy?

We take privacy very seriously when deploying, installing and using CCTV.  Details of this can be found in our CCTV Code of Practice.

My neighbour has CCTV I am concerned about this:

The council only has an involvement in the running and co-ordination of its own CCTV operations.  There is no requirement for the council to monitor, licence or otherwise regulate private usage of CCTV. Unfortunately we have no powers to intervene in this area.  If you believe that another person’s usage of CCTV may be infringing your rights to privacy then you should either inform your local police or take your own legal advice

I have heard that the cameras are never working is this true?

No, all of our camera equipment is regularly checked, fully maintained and serviced to ensure they remain fully operational.

Do you use dummy cameras?

No, we only use real fully working CCTV

How to request CCTV evidence

We have an electronic form online that allows authorised persons or agencies such as the police to request our CCTV images.

Affiliations & Useful links

Epping Forest District Council is a member of The National CCTV User Group
CCTV User Group -
Home Office -
Information Commissioner's Office -  
Surveillance Camera Commissioner -

Phone Contact us....

Telephone: 01992 564608

Or write to us at: Safer Communities Team, Epping Forest District Council, Civic Offices, High Street,,  Epping, Essex CM16 4BZ

IMPORTANT PLEASE NOTE - if your complaint relates to abandoned vehicles, rubbish, fly-tipping or other environmental issues please email To report defects in roads, pavements or lighting please contact Essex County Council Highways.

LinksRelated Links

Report it...Report it...