Mutual exchange application

A mutual exchange is a 'swap' between two or more tenants who have secure or flexible (fixed-term) tenancies.

You could move to another council or housing association property anywhere in the country. The exchange is arranged by the tenants but you must get the permission of your landlord, and make sure your exchange partners have done the same.

The rules on mutual exchange are explained in our 'Moving home with the council' leaflet:


The Council has linked up with the HomeSwapper mutual exchange service to make it easier for tenants to find exchange partners. HomeSwapper is one of the UK's largest mutual exchange services. It offers:

  • Easy registration
  • Alerts by email and text when the type of property you want is registered
  • A forum to share more information
  • Powerful searching on the internet

After registering with HomeSwapper you simply need to supply your property details, and a photo if you wish. There is no charge if you are a tenant of Epping Forest District Council because we have subscribed on behalf of all our tenants.

If you have found an exchange partner you will need to complete the online Mutual Exchange Application form to apply for permission to effect a mutual exchange. Remember to keep HomeSwapper updated if your home swap has gone through.

Contact our Housing Options Team if you would like more information or need help with your online application.

Phone Contact us....

Name:Housing Options Section
Telephone: 01992 564716

Or you can write to us at:
Housing Options Section, Epping Forest District Council, Civic Offices, High Street,  Epping, Essex CM16 4BZ

View Full Contact Details