Housing services for older people

The Council provides a number of special housing services for older people. These include our Careline emergency alarm service, sheltered housing, handyperson services and our C.A.R.E. Home Improvement Agency (Caring and Repairing in Epping Forest). All are operated by the Communities Directorate.

Sheltered housing for older people. Sheltered housing includes special features to make the properties suitable for older residents. It is suitable for people who are capable of living on their own but feel more secure with the support of a visiting Scheme Manager. People living in our sheltered housing have a connection to our Careline alarm call system.

Some sheltered housing is all within one building, with a communal lounge where social activities are organised. Other properties are self-contained flats, bungalows or studio flats in groups or areas. There are usually some communal facilities, such as a laundry room and a guest room for your visitors. Our accommodation is located in larger towns including Loughton, Waltham Abbey, Buckhurst Hill and Epping. We also have schemes in more rural areas such as Nazeing, Ongar and North Weald.

You can apply online for council-owned and housing association sheltered housing in Epping Forest District. More information on applying for a council or housing association home. To make your move less stressful, our Re-housing Support Officer can help you sort out all the arrangements.

Download our leaflets "Services for older people (Housing)" and "Your guide to sheltered housing":

We may be able to adapt council properties to make them more accessible for tenants with disabilities. Adaptations can include ramps, handrails, showers and stairlifts. These works will only be undertaken if they have been assessed as necessary by Essex County Council’s Adult Social Care Department.

Tenants should contact the Occupational Therapy Service of the Adult Social Care Department to arrange an assessment.

Phone:  0345 603 7630 9 (or 0345 758 5592 for Minicom users)

Email:  socialcaredirect@essex.gov.uk

The Council's Housing Assets Section is responsible for carrying out adaptations to council properties.

Careline and telecare services are for people who want to feel more secure in their homes, knowing that help can be summoned at the press of a button. By installing a personal alarm unit, you can easily contact our Careline Centre from anywhere in your home or the nearby area. The unit is linked through your telephone line and has a pendant that can be worn around your neck, wrist or waist. The yearly rental charge for 2017-18 is £153.00 for an alarm and up to 4 sensors.

Our clients use the Careline service because they feel vulnerable in some way, for example:

  • They are unwell or have been injured in some way
  • They have fallen
  • They have experienced an intruder in their property or garden
  • They have recently been discharged from hospital

A wide range of telecare sensors are also available, such as smoke detectors, bogus caller buttons and fall detectors. They activate the alarm system automatically and send a call to Epping Forest Careline.

Read more about telecare services in the 'Independent for longer' website pages

Contact Epping Forest Careline for further information, or to request a demonstration:

Phone: 0208 532 1065

Email: careline@eppingforestdc.gov.uk, or

Online: complete the 'Careline request for information' online form

Do you need help to repair and maintain your home? Maybe you are looking for a handyperson, or your property need adaptations.

Through the Caring and Repairing in Epping Forest (C.A.R.E.) Home Improvement Agency, the Council seeks to assist older people and disabled home owners to improve, repair or adapt their houses. We may also be able to assist with home improvements to prevent hospital admission, or to support prompt discharge from hospital. Further information, including the grants available to residents and schemes available can be found here:

C.A.R.E. also provides a handyperson service to retired home-owners and private tenants who are over the age of 60. Our reputable and vetted contractors carry out small, low cost repairs and home security work. They can also provide falls prevention measures.  There is a charge for the service, which is lower for people on means-tested benefits.

Contact the Private Sector Housing Assistance Team for more information on any of the above services.

Phone 01992 564086 or email: pshgrantsandcare@eppingforestdc.gov.uk

Are you a council tenant? Would you like smaller home that is cheaper to run and more manageable?

Move to a smaller home and you could receive up to £4,000

If you are living on your own in a large property, you may want to move to a smaller home that is cheaper to run and more manageable. The cash you get from us could help you buy furnishings for your new home, or pay a removal company. Maybe you could consider our sheltered housing, if you are an older person and you would like the support of a Scheme Manager.

To make your move less stressful, our Re-housing Support Officer can help you sort out all the arrangements such as:

  • Joining the Housing Register
  • Changing your doctor
  • Informing other organisations about your change of address, and
  • Organising the packing and removal

We need to make the best possible use of our council properties because demand is extremely high. Homes freed up through our downsizing incentive scheme can be let to families in real need of larger accommodation.

If you wish to downsize you'll need to join our Housing Register. Tenants wanting to transfer to smaller accommodation are placed in Band 1 (the highest priority banding). You'll get £1000 for each room "released", plus £500 for removal expenses and £500 to meet decoration costs - so you could get up to £4,000.

To enquire about the downsizing incentive scheme please contact our Housing Options Section. 

Phone: 01992 564716

Email: housingoptions@eppingforestdc.gov.uk

Use the link below to download a leaflet on electrical safety for older people.

Information on Gas Safety

Residential homes for older people provide personal care, and a higher degree of support than sheltered housing. This service is dealt with by Essex County Council's Adult Social Care service.

Phone: 0845 603 7627

Email: essdirect@essexcc.gov.uk

A wide range of services are available to meet individual needs and circumstances to support people to live independently. This includes advice on caring for someone, looking after your health and having a say about services.

Read more: find more information on adult social care in Essex

Contact usContact us

Name:Older Peoples Services (Housing)
Telephone: 01992 564368
Email: shelteredhome@eppingforestdc.gov.uk

Or you can write to us at:
Older People’s Services, Epping Forest District Council, 2 Parsonage Court, Rectory Lane,  Loughton, Essex IG10 2BB


Useful links


Apply for it

Useful Files