Leader of Council
At the annual Council meeting in May 2012, Councillor Chris Whitbread was elected the new Leader of the Council and Councillor Syd Stavrou as the new Deputy Leader. Councillor Chris Whitbread thanked Councillor Lesley Wagland on her leadership of the Council over the previous year and said: 'He was proud to be representing the residents of the Epping Forest District'.
Chris Whitbread has been an Epping Forest District Councillor since 1998 for Epping Lindsey and Thornwood Common.
He has previously served as the Cabinet Portfolio holder for Leisure, for Finance and as Deputy Leader before becoming the Leader of Epping Forest District Council.
Chris was born and grew up in Epping. He grew up in Beaconfield Road, Epping attending the local schools. Chris still lives in the town with his family and runs a local business. Chris became a Councillor to put something back into his local community that has been part of his entire life.
As Leader of Epping Forest District Council, Chris is committed to protecting the things we all value about our district, whilst meeting the challenges posed by a shortage of homes for local people, need to attract enterprise investment to create new jobs and opportunities.
The Cabinet consists of
- Chris Whitbread - Leader
- Richard Bassett - Planning Portfolio
- Elizabeth Webster - Leisure and Wellbeing Portfolio
- Syd Stavrou - Finance and Technology Portfolio
- William Breare-Hall - Environment Portfolio
- Gary Waller - Safer, Greener and Highways Portfolio
- David Stallan - Housing Portfolio
- Haluk Ulkun - Support Services Portfolio
- Anne Grigg - Asset Management and Economic Development Portfolio